Wednesday, April 29, 2009

LEMON MERINGUE PIE

My girl's are always calling for recipes and with our beautiful spring weather I thought I would post one of our all time favorites. It comes from a department store restaurant I went to with my mom when I was a little girl. Bullock's Department Store was located on Lake Ave in Pasadena. It was a special treat to go to lunch there. They had a fashion show during lunch, with a runway and wonderful models. Funny I can picture that lunch room today with its wide bamboo chairs and tropical green fabric on the padded seats. We would get dressed up, with our patent leather shoes (white or black depending on the season). By "we" I mean my sister and my mom. And we would always order the same thing... an egg salad sandwich with chips and a sweet pickle and Lemon Meringue Pie for dessert. Always a very special memory.
Here's the best Lemon Meringue Pie from Bullock's Pasadena

1/4 C flour
5 T cornstarch
1t salt
1 1/2 C sugar
2 1/4 C boiling water
3 egg yolks
1/2 C plus 1T lemon juice
Grated zest of 1 1/2 lemons
1t butter
1 9" baked pie shell

1. Mix flour, corn starch, salt, sugar and boiling water. COOK in top of double boiler over simmering water OR over direct low heat about 15 min or until thickened and clear, stirring constantly.
2. ADD lightly beaten egg yolks and cook 2 min longer.
3. ADD lemon juice, zest and butter.
4. Cool slightly then turn into baked pie shell.
5. Spoon meringue over pie completely covering filling. Place pie in OVEN at 400 degrees to brown slightly. About 10 min or until tinged w/brown.

MERINGUE
3 egg whites
6T sugar
1/4 t cream of Tartar

1. Beat egg whites until frothy.
2. Gradually beat in sugar and cream of tartar until whites are stiff.

2 comments:

Valentina :D said...

I'm going to have to try this Lemon Meringue pie recipe.

Jacquie said...

You know me - I love to bake and this definitely sounds like a "winner"...